Friday, May 30, 2014

Chopper motorcycles - UPDATE...

So, the infamous shifting issue appeared to be due to the shift pawl being out of adjustment and/or the shift lever going into the spline shaft of the transmission was loose.  Dealer did the adjustments, put the bike back together, and all was good...for a while.

About a week or so after picking up the bike, I noticed a good sized puddle of some sort of oil under the bike.  Thought perhaps the tranny was over-filled as it was just worked on by the dealer, and it was a very hot day out.  However, the problem never went away, so after a few days the bike was back to the dealer. 

Dealer looks at it and determines it's the transmission trap door seal that's leaking.  Now, keep in mind that this is not your typical leak where it's just an annoyance of spotting the garage floor.  Oh HELL NO!!!  This is a leak that basically appears to be on the order of being able to drain the entire tranny overnight!  Hence, a REAL PROBLEM!!!!!

Was informed by the dealer that the repair would run about $430.  Yeah, that's just fuck'n peachy, but at least I don't need to rebuild or replace the fucking tranny! 
Dealer calls me the day they are working on it to inform me that once they got into the thing to repair the seal, they found pieces if the shift dogs floating around in the tranny.  Now, I'm no mechanic, but this just doesn't sound good!  They then proceed to inform me that...yep...you guessed it...the fucking tranny needs to be rebuilt!  Or replaced, as that might even be cheaper.  I'm not sure, but I think this bike is just out to get me!

Well fucking lucky me, I was able to find a brand new right side drive, 6 speed, hydraulic tranny for $660, and with the 6 hours labor from the dealer to install, I'll have the damn thing fixed for around $1200 out the door.

Let's see, bike has just over 28,000 miles on it, and within a few months it needed a seal fixed, and now this!  

UN-FUCKIN-REAL!!!!!!

At least now when I sell it, I can advertise that it has a brand new transmission!

Like I've said before, I love choppers, but I have given up owning them.  Maybe if I hit the lotto, or ever get bored enough in my life where I want to work on a project bike, I'd get another one.  But until then, no thanks!

No comments:

Chopper ride

Chopper ride
Nice wooded area heading out of Booneville towards the coast.